How A Mentorship Program Shaped My Future by Ana Gonzalez with Brooks
Thoughts on National Mentoring Day. Together we can make a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Senior Manager, ULI San Antonio
REPORTS TO: Director, ULI San Antonio
POSITION STATUS: Full-Time
About the Organization
ULI is a global research and education nonprofit organization whose mission is to shape the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide. It is the oldest and largest network of cross disciplinary real estate and land experts in the world, with over 45,000 members. For more information, please visit https://uli.org.
About ULI San Antonio
ULI Americas implements its mission through 42 local district councils across the United States. ULI San Antonio’s Leadership consists of the leading professionals of local real estate industry. ULI San Antonio was established as a district council in 2019 and was named the fastest growing District Council in 2021 reaching over 650 members. ULI San Antonio was also awarded the Staff Summit Award in 2020 for Member Engagement. ULI San Antonio members lead the following committees: Governance Council, Advisory Board, Sponsorship, Golf, Membership, Communications, Programs, Development 360, UrbanPlan, Mentorship Forum, Advisory Services and Impact…plus Affinity Groups for Young Leaders, NEXT, WLI and six Local Member Councils. ULI San Antonio was also recently awarded a grant for Year 2 of the Curtis Infrastructure Initiative. For more information, please visit sanantonio.uli.org.
To better serve our members, ULI San Antonio is searching for a full-time Senior Manager to join our small and collaborative team that serves local members in the real estate and land use profession and fosters relationships, learning, and leadership that meaningfully affect their careers, their communities, and the industry. The Senior Manager works closely with the Director, ULI San Antonio staff, and members to implement ULI San Antonio’s strategic business plan; oversee marketing and communications; coordinate program development; and support diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
About the Role
The Senior Manager, reporting directly to the Director, will work closely with ULI San Antonio’s District Council Chair, Vice Chair, Governance Council Chair, and volunteer members to oversee the program of work including community impact initiatives through ULI grants and advisory services; educational committees like UrbanPlan and Development 360 and affinity groups like ULI San Antonio’s Local Member Councils, WLI, NEXT, Young Leaders and Mentorship Forum. The Senior Manager will also support sponsorship and membership committees and collaborate on a communications and marketing plan, including email marketing and social media, that elevates the private and public sectors’ awareness of ULI San Antonio’s brand. The Senior Manager will participate in ULI National weekly check-in meetings and the ULI Staff Summit, as well as ULI Fall and Spring Meetings.
The Senior Manager is one of the faces of the District Council – members may call the Senior Manager for assistance and information, so it is imperative that the Senior Manager be courteous, knowledgeable, responsive, and friendly. This Senior Manager reports directly to the Director and will help support the San Antonio District Council’s member-led committees, advancing the organization’s DEI actions, marketing and communications plans and executing program and event planning.
The Senior Manager often serves as an informed resource, manager and primary staff support for several District Council committees and their work program for the FY, including Local Member Councils, Young Leaders, NEXT, and WLI. This will include interfacing with those members to produce the work and products, ensure that all work is consistent with ULI and ULI San Antonio policies and procedures and that ULI San Antonio’s goals and objectives are met. The Senior Manager works in alignment with the Director to ensure and understand administrative, financial and office operations of the District Council, including for example, membership, sponsorship, programs, communication and community outreach.
– Support the development of at least one major impact report or research effort per year through ULI grant opportunities and TAPS, serving as a core resource. Typical tasks involved include coordinating meetings, defining the scope or the project, managing member involvement, serve as a resource for and coordinating across the community.
– The Senior Manager will help organize events and meetings, such as workshops, forums, webinars, and summits to provide member value and gain member insights.
Strategic Growth / Sponsorship
– Creating and implementing a business plan that improves member, nonmember, and public awareness of ULI San Antonio’s program of work and increases member and nonmember engagement with ULI San Antonio.
– Support the Sponsorship committee to meet annual goals and develop appreciation events and/or content in order to provide a positive sponsor experience from joining and welcome through ongoing engagement and retention.
– Keep all sponsorship information current and up to date to ensure accurate tracking of fundraising progress and sponsor benefit utilization; this includes pledges and collections from renewing sponsors, as well as prospective sponsors.
– Coordinate memberships and other benefits included with Annual Sponsorships.
– Create and manage an additional revenue generating special event for ULI San Antonio such as an Awards program, Legends in Real Estate dinner event or Marketplace networking event
– Establish relationships with Community Partner organizations.
Marketing and Storytelling
– Assist with production and distribution of all correspondence to members and non-members
– Developing persuasive communications strategies with the Communications Committee, including social media, for showcasing the Institute’s thought leadership, increasing brand awareness in ULI San Antonio’s market, and raising awareness of and interest in ULI San Antonio’s community impact initiatives.
– Designing and scheduling email marketing that creatively and effectively promotes ULI San Antonio’s programs, events, and initiatives and improves email open rates, engagement, and registration.
– Produce high-quality content and maintain timely, high-quality content on ULI San Antonio’s website and social media accounts to include newsletters, press releases, and annual reports.
– Perform other administrative, marketing and communications duties and projects as required to contribute to a team effort.
Membership and Committees
– Respond to member/non-member requests via phone and email inquiries
– Oversee membership related needs including membership welcome, New Member orientation, retention and recruitment strategies.
– Develop and manage member relationships, supporting opportunities for member to engage more deeply with the District Council through programming and committees.
– Assist with analysis of member and non-member records for membership, sponsorship, attendance and budget patterns for forecasting short- and long-term goals.
– Manage assigned committees and execute their programs, events, logistics, tracking financials and sponsorship development.
Programs and Initiatives
– Support production of in-person events or meetings as needed.
– Manage and support Local Member Councils and UrbanPlan workshops.
– Assist with special events.
– Create programming with member committee to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in ULI, and the real estate industry in San Antonio.
– Oversight of project employee and contractors working on assigned projects.
We are looking for someone to represent ULI San Antonio and the mission over the long term to grow the Institute’s membership and impact. The Senior Manager position is a great opportunity for someone interested in working with regional industry and public and nonprofit leaders to address critical land use and development challenges.
▪ Bachelor’s degree or 6-8 years of equivalent experience. 8+ years of professional experience in the public, private, or nonprofit sector, preferably in the area of land use and real estate development, including project management and client or team leadership skills.
• A strategic thinker, a strong writer, a problem solver, a team player, and an excellent communicator with a customer/end-user orientation.
• Professional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Comfort engaging with ULI members and partners of all levels.
• Demonstrated research and writing skills. Able to write summaries of various reports and topics.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe, and experience with web design/WordPress a plus.
• Ability to initiate and prioritize tasks and implement programs and projects with a great degree of independence, handling multiple tasks concurrently with responsible follow-through.
• Self-motivated, demonstrating keen attention to details, timelines, and various moving project pieces, with outstanding organizational skills.
• Meeting and event coordination abilities.
• Ability to maintain and respect confidentiality where and when appropriate.
• Desired experience includes demonstrated project coordination, preferably in a professional setting, experience in nonprofit organizations, and experience in communication and outreach efforts.
• Highest level of honesty and integrity.
• Highly motivated professional who thrives in a team environment; is multitask-oriented; is self-motivated; and takes pride in his/her accomplishments.
• Some existing network and presence in the San Antonio real estate community and knowledge of the San Antonio market and its complexities is highly desirable.
• A working knowledge of the Urban Land Institute and participation in the ULI San Antonio District program of work is highly desired.
• Ability to attend early morning meetings and evening events as needed. This position required local travel to events and sometimes to ULI headquarters in Washington, DC and attendance at the annual Fall Meeting and Spring Meeting.
ULI has a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expand HR Consulting (EHR) has been retained to conduct the search. To apply, please submit your letter of interest and resume to EHR, Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, [email protected].
ULI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law