Thank yous are due to Donald Manekin and Joel Harris for being our featured speakers and to Debra Guerrero and Dalia Contreras for rounding out the panel at the May 14 ULI Leadership luncheon on Improving Education in an Urban Setting.
ULI Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Donald Manekin with Seawall Development, spoke about using affordable educator housing to help transform communities. He challenged developers in the room to be proactive and meet with school districts near their projects to find out what and where the needs are.
City Education Partners Founder Joel Harris reviewed stats on education in SA, and outlined programs devoted to high quality schools for all children. He urged the audience to get involved by doing the following:
1) Listen, learn and become advocates for change
2) Create affordable lease deals for teachers relocating to SA’s urban core
3) Get involved thru boards, funding support and mentoring
4) Provide retail perks for teachers
5) Provide internships to recent high school grads from our urban core