San Antonio’s ULI NEXT initiative identifies, connects, and elevates the next generation of leaders for the built environment and ULI. The NEXT initiative provides mid-career members a meaningful way to be active in ULI as their careers advance into leadership positions in the industry. ULI NEXT members are Full or Associate members, generally within the ages of 35-50, who have exemplified leadership at work and within ULI.
ULI NEXT provides a range of benefits to participants as they develop their leadership skills and build lasting relationships among peers, with ULI leadership, and throughout the ULI network.
The program strives to accomplish the following goals for its members:
- High-level sharing of strategies, best practices and pitfalls among leaders & peers
- Seed future collaboration that leads to better policies and projects
- Support each other in mid-career challenges and share best practices for effective leadership skills, and professional/personal growth
- Develop new and grow existing meaningful relationship with peers from cross-sectors of the field for the long-term
- Provide a collegial and non-competitive atmosphere built on trust.
- A relevant voice in the organization and its program(s).
- Leadership opportunities to meet individual goals.
Our program will follow the academic calendar from September to May. We will split the group into “Flights” that will be sorted for even professional sector grouping. Each flight will meet monthly on the first Tuesday of every month with three quarterly all Flight meetings. Monthly meetings will consist of topical interest chosen by members to promote candid discussion from diverse perspectives. NEXT flights are member-driven and led by Flight leaders. Each flight determines its own program content, guest speakers, and meeting time.
The number of flights this year will depend on the number of NEXT applications. They will be comprised of 12 -15 members per Flight representing a diverse cross-section of the industry.
Meetings: Each flight will meet on the first Tuesday of every month. Meeting times and locations are decided by the members in each Flight.
- Approximately 9 sessions will be scheduled from September to May, taking a break during the summer.
– 6 of these sessions will be with your assigned Flight
– 3 of these sessions will be all Flight meetings (September, January, May)
- The NEXT Co-Chairs will host a mixer shortly after the application period closes. Final location and time TBD but the event will be hosted on August 25th.
- Members are required to attend at least 75% of the meetings, and to actively participate in presenting and/or facilitating one or more of those meetings. VIEW PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES
- Members are required to pay an annual participation fee of $125 to cover expenses associated with meetings along with other ULI operational costs for supporting the program. The participation fee is separate and in addition to a member’s annual dues to belong to ULI. The participation fee must be paid by September 15, 2022.
- Once admitted to ULI NEXT, members may continue participation year-after-year without reapplying, until they turn age 50.
In an effort to keep Flights <15 people, additional flights may be added annually. Each June, an interest form will be available to ULI members. The goal is to place as many members as possible into small diverse groups, however admission/placement is not guaranteed.
Flight 1: Megan Moshier and Mallory Baird
Flight 2: Amber Gilbert and Rachel Holder
Flight 3: Karl Baker and Adrianna Swindle
Flight 4: Beverly Baldwin and Morgan Williams
Studio 8 Architects
ULI NEXT Chair
ULI NEXT Co-Chair