San Antonio’s ULI NEXT initiative identifies, connects, and elevates the next generation of leaders for the built environment and ULI. The NEXT initiative provides mid-career members a meaningful way to be active in ULI as their careers advance into leadership positions in the industry. ULI NEXT members are Full or Associate members, generally within the ages of 35-45, who have exemplified leadership at work and within ULI.
[Applications to join ULI NEXT are accepted once annually in August.]
ULI NEXT provides a range of benefits to participants as they develop their leadership skills and build lasting relationships among peers, with ULI leadership, and throughout the ULI network.
The program strives to accomplish the following goals for its members:
- High-level sharing of strategies, best practices and pitfalls among leaders & peers
- Seed future collaboration that leads to better policies and projects
- Support each other in mid-career challenges and share best practices for effective leadership skills, and professional/personal growth
- Develop new and grow existing meaningful relationship with peers from cross-sectors of the field for the long-term
- Provide a collegial and non-competitive atmosphere built on trust.
- A relevant voice in the organization and its program(s).
- Leadership opportunities to meet individual goals.
Our program will follow the academic calendar from September to May. We will split the group into “flights” that are organized geographically and will be sorted for even professional sector grouping. Each flight will meet monthly on the second Tuesday of every month with three quarterly all flight meetings. Monthly meetings will consist of topical interest chosen by members to promote candid discussion from diverse perspectives. NEXT flights are member-driven and led by flight leaders. Each flight determines its own program content, guest speakers, and meeting schedule.
The number of flights this year will depend on the number of NEXT applications. They will be comprised of 12 -15 members per Flight representing a diverse cross-section of the industry. Each Flight is self-directed and the topics for each meeting are selected by NEXT members.
Meetings: Each flight meets monthly, typically for breakfast or lunch. Meeting times and locations are decided by the members in each flight. Flight leaders typically poll members at the start of each season (September) to collectively determine a time/location that works for all members.
- Approximately 9 sessions will be scheduled from September to May, taking a break during the summer.
– 6 of these sessions will be with your assigned Flight
– 3 of these sessions will be quarterly all Flight meetings
- Members are required to attend at least 75% of the meetings, and to actively participate in presenting and/or facilitating one or more of those meetings. VIEW PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES
- Members are required to pay an annual participation fee of $125 to cover expenses associated with meetings along with other ULI operational costs for supporting the program. The participation fee is separate and in addition to a member’s annual dues to belong to ULI. The participation fee must be paid by October 15, 2021.
- Once admitted to ULI NEXT, members may continue participation year-after-year without reapplying, until they turn age 45.
In an effort to keep Flights <15 people, additional flights may be added annually. Each June, an interest form will be available to ULI members. The goal is to place as many members as possible into small diverse groups, however admission/placement is not guaranteed.