The ULI San Antonio Mentorship Forum consists of four small groups, each consisting of 7-10 Young Leader members paired with a single Mentor. Each Mentorship Group has an appointed Group Leader to assist the Mentor with scheduling, selecting meeting venues, making lunch arrangements/reservations, etc.
The ULI/SA Mentorship Forum is year-long professional development program designed to provide the following to Young Leader members who are under the age of 35:
- Exploration of ULI’s mission in a confidential, trusting environment of idea exchange;
- A broader understanding of all facets of the real estate environment;
- Connectivity with ULI peers and a senior-level Mentor;
- Personal and professional development.
OUR FY20 MENTORS ARE:
Pete Broderick – Partner, Jackson Walker
Katherine Fontenot – Director of Construction, Weston Urban
Irby Hightower – Founding Principal, Alamo Architects
Chuck King – Managing Director, JLL
Kim Williams – Director of Special Projects, G.W. Mitchell Construction
Meetings will be scheduled from September 2019 through June 2020, consisting of several small group lunch discussions and two combined group events.
100% attendance is expected. Participants are made aware of the attendance requirement at the onset of the application process. Each participant’s supervisor has provided signed permission / recognition of the monthly meetings and the attendance requirement. Each Group Leader must keep track of attendance for each meeting, and provide it to the Mentorship Forum Chair at the conclusion of the program. Attendance will be taken into consideration when determining future admittance into the program.
Dates and locations for the group meetings are at the discretion of the Mentor and group participants. All arrangements related to booking conference rooms, making reservations or ordering food will be handled by the Group Leader in coordination with the Mentor. Food and drink for small group meetings will be ordered in advance by the Group Leader and paid for via ULI with the funds from the $100 participation fee from each participant. Meetings are expected to last 60 to 75 minutes.
There is a $100 annual fee to participate in the Mentorship Forum. This fee is separate from, and in addition to, your annual ULI membership dues. The all-inclusive fee covers expenses for the meetings, including the small group lunch discussions and two combined group events.
Applicants are selected based on the following criteria:
- ULI Member age 35 or younger* (membership must be current at the time of application)
- Thoughtful and thorough responses on the application
- Employment/engagement in the real estate industry
- Active past and current involvement in ULI programs and events
- Commitment to the time required for active involvement in the program, or demonstrated commitment to the program in years past
- Demonstrated high standard of professional and personal integrity
*Applicants must be age 35 or younger as of the August 31 application deadline.
- August 1 – Info Session at Overland, 5:30pm – 7:00pm
- August 1 – Application Available Online
- August 31 – Application Deadline
- September 10 – Applicants notified of admission to the program
- September 10-21 – Email from Mentor to respective group with schedule for the event in September (all Mentor Groups) & October (1st Small Group Meeting)
- September 26 – “Meet Your Mentor” Kickoff Party / Special Event with all Mentor Groups.
- October – May – Monthly Small Group meetings
- January 23 – Mentorship Forum Trivia Night at Frost Tower
- June – FY20 Mentorship Forum Closing Happy Hour Event for all Mentorship Groups
I can’t attend the Info Session in July, can I still apply?
Yes. Attendance at the Info Session is not mandatory, however it is recommended. The Info Session is designed to provide an overview of the program, share personal experiences from past participants and mentors, and to answer questions.
How do I apply?
Applications are submitted online.
Do I have to be a member to apply?
Yes, you must have a current ULI membership. You can call 800-321-5011 to get your membership number or renew your membership. You may also email Janis.Ploetz@uli.org for assistance.
Do I have to upload a photo and/or my resume?
Yes, the photo and resume will help mentors get to those in their group.
Can I request a particular Mentor?
No, ULI will assign selected applicants to Mentors in order to balance and diversify each group.
When will I know if I was selected?
You will be notified of acceptance the first week of September.
Do I need to pay the $100 participation fee now?
No, you will be provided instructions for paying the fee if you are accepted into the program.
Please feel free to contact any of us if you have questions about the Mentorship Forum or application process.
Mentorship Forum Chair
Rachel Brehm, .dwg
Mentorship Forum Co-Chair
Maria Nelson, RS&H
Janis Ploetz, ULI/SA Senior Manager